2017 SPRING TOURNAMENT
Saturday April 22nd – Sunday April 23rd, 2017
Virginia Beach Sports Complex, Virginia Beach, VA
Old Dominion University – paid, online 1/24
Rutgers University – paid, check 2/2
Virginia Commonwealth University – paid, check 3/8
James Madison University – paid, online 1/22
George Mason University – paid, online 1/26
Georgetown University – paid, online 2/1
University of Maryland College Park – paid, online 2/14
The College of William and Mary – paid, online 1/27
University of Notre Dame – paid, check 2/21
George Washington University – paid, online 2/14
University of Connecticut – paid, check 3/17
University of Tampa – paid, check 2/21 – CANCELLED (check 5/15)
Dartmouth College – paid, online 2/17
University of Virginia – paid, online 1/24
West Chester University – paid, check 3/3
East Carolina University – paid, online 1/23
Coastal Carolina University – paid, online 1/27
Towson University – paid, online 2/20
Stony Brook University – paid, check 2/17
American University – paid, online 2/28
Drexel University – paid, online 2/1
Longwood University – paid, check 2/27
Virginia Tech – paid, online 2/1
Duke University – paid, online 2/14
Northeastern University – paid, online 3/1
University of New Haven
- Teams are guaranteed at least 3 games. The tournament is setup as pool-play, and teams are ranked based on the fall 2016 standings.
- The tournament is limited to a max of 24 teams. It is first come, first serve. Teams must first RSVP and are required to pay dues by the deadline (see below).
- TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
- All teams are required to be prepared and available to play between 7am-8pm on Saturday AND 7am-3pm on Sunday.
- Sometimes games need to be switched and rearranged – we need you to be flexible, patient, and open-minded.
- Teams must bring light and dark colored shirts/jerseys.
All teams (full and honorary members) are invited to play in the Spring Tournament. It is first come, first serve – we allow a maximum of 24 teams.
By submitting a RSVP, you are committing to coming to the tournament with a full team and paying dues. You will be required to pay tournament dues if you submit a RSVP (even if you cancel). Please do not submit a RSVP unless you are 100% committed to coming with a full team and paying dues.
2017 Dues = $500 per team PAY ONLINE HERE
Teams that would like to participate in the tournament must abide by the following rules and deadlines:
February 1st, 2017 – RSVP Deadline RSVP HERE
By submitting a RSVP, you are committing to coming to the tournament with a full team. You will be required to pay tournament dues if you submit a RSVP (even if you cancel). Please do not submit a RSVP unless you are 100% committed to coming with a full team and paying dues.
March 1st, 2017 – Dues/Email Verification Deadline
OPTION 1: PAY ONLINE
Easiest and fastest way to secure your spot in the tournament. PAY ONLINE HERE
OPTION 2: MAIL A CHECK
Dues must be received by the NFHL by March 1st. If you have any concerns that your check will not make it to our office by March 1st, please also submit a letter of verification (option 2) so that your spot in the tournament is not forfeited.
OPTION 3: PROMISE TO PAY FROM YOUR SCHOOL
Submit the tournament invoice to your school (to have them send us a check or pay online) AND your school must send us a verification email
Your school must send us an email to verify that the paperwork for dues has been submitted before March 1st and the estimated date we will receive payment. This must be emailed to treasurer@
If We Don’t Receive Payment/Email Verification by March 1st:
If the NFHL has not received payment/letter from the school by March 1st, the team will be removed from the tournament. Teams that are removed will be notified by email by the NFHL. You will still be required to pay dues for the tournament.
All teams must cancel in writing (send email to kristin@
- Still required to pay dues prior to Spring Tournament. Failure to pay dues before the tournament will result in probation until notified by league coordinators and must pay a fine of $250. Team will be reinstated only by majority votes by co-coordinators and other team representatives and once the full dues and the $250 fine are paid.
Teams that have committed to coming to the Spring Tournament (by submitting an RSVP and sending their dues) and do not show:
*Will be put on probation until notified by league coordinators and must pay a fine of $250.
*Team will be reinstated only by majority votes by co-coordinators and other team representatives.
PRE-ORDER TOURNAMENT SHIRTS
- All tournament shirts must be PRE-ORDERED ONLINE. Shirts will not be for sale at the tournament.
- Shirts ordered online will be available for pickup at the Registration Table at the tournament. We cannot ship shirts!
- Pre-order today to make sure you can get a shirt!
- Order online here (coming soon!)
Virginia Beach Sportsplex
2181 Landstown Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456
- Field 1 and 2 – astroturf
- Sportsplex – fieldturf
- Turf shoes only – NO spiked cleats
- Free parking is available for all teams and parent
2017 Spring Tournament Rules
Please note: As per changes made at the 2016 Annual Meeting:
- Four (4) men are allowed on the field (regardless of total number of players). This DOES NOT COUNT the goalie. The goalie is gender neutral.
- If there is a tie at the end of regulation play, then teams will go into “sudden victory” overtime (7 players per side) for 15 minutes. A maximum of 3 male field players per team is allowed to play. This DOES NOT COUNT the goalie. The goalie is gender neutral.
- Teams need to bring a copy of their complete roster to the tournament and submit it when they register.
- Download the Roster Form here and bring it with you to the tournament.
- Teams are allowed to have as many fans as they like attend the tournament.
- Free admission and parking for all fans.
- It’s your responsibility to keep your fans updated if any changes are made.
- All fans are required to abide by all NFHL and Sportsplex rules.
- Fans who are disruptive and do not abide by the misconduct rules will be removed from the tournament and will jeopardize their’s teams entry in the tournament – we take this VERY seriously!
Players, coaches and fans must treat all other players, NFHL staff, spectators, other coaches and refs on/off the field with the utmost respect and dignity. Everyone is expected to compose themselves maturely and have sportsman-like conduct on/off the field at all times. Please read and review all misconduct rules here.
Anyone who fails to abide by the conduct rule will face:
- The consequences stipulated by the NCAA.
- If issued a red card, the player will be suspended for the current game and the following game.
- If issued a second red card during a tournament, the player will be suspended for the remainder of the tournament and must leave the facility immediately (for the remainder of the tournament).
- One verbal warning or green card from NFHL staff or referee.
- Red card and suspension for the remainder of the day. They must leave the facility immediately.
- If a second red card is issued at a tournament, the coach is suspended for the remainder of the tournament and must leave the facility immediately.
- Teams and team captains (or coaches) are ultimately responsible for the conduct of their fans:
- One verbal warning from NFHL staff or referee.
- If the misconduct persists, a yellow card (minimum 5 minute suspension) will be issued to the coach or team captain for the current game.
- If the misconduct persists, the referee will stop the game and the fan must leave the facility immediately. Play will resume once the fan has left the facility. The clock will not stop during this time.
To read and review a summary of the NCAA, FIH, and NFHL misconduct rules click here: Misconduct Rules
Special NFHL rates for players and fans:
Hilton Garden Inn Town Center (official NFHL tournament hotel)
252 Town Center Dr, Virginia Beach, VA, 23462
- $129 per night (king bed) plus tax
- $149 per night (2 queen beds) plus tax
- Breakfast included!
- Free parking
- Located in the in the heart of the “Main Street” district - packed with shopping and restaurants – all within walking distance!
- Reserve your rooms online here or call 757-326-6200 and ask for “National Field Hockey Spring Tournament” group rate
The Westin (official NFHL tournament hotel)
4535 Commerce Street, Virginia Beach, VA, 23462
- $159 per night (2 double beds or 1 king bed) plus tax
- Free parking
- Located in the in the heart of the “Main Street” district – packed with shopping and restaurants – all within walking distance!
- Reserve your rooms online here or Call 800-937-8461 and ask for the “National Field Hockey League Spring 2017″ group rate
Virginia Beach Resort Hotel (official NFHL tournament hotel)
2800 Shore Drive Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- $129 per night (plus tax)
- Luxury beach front suites sleep up to 6 with separate bedroom and living room areas, balcony overlooking the beach, queen-size sofa sleeper, kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator
- Call 800-468-2722 and ask for the “National Field Hockey League Spring Tournament” group rate
- Outside food/beverages will not be allowed on the premises.
- Boxed lunches can be ordered here.
- There is a new restaurant with group space available, right across from the fields. For more information, click here.
- We can never predict the weather! We may need to rearrange games and/or restructure the format of the tournament in extreme weather.
- Kristin will keep all teams informed of any changes via email – please check your emails on a regular basis!
- Please be flexible – it’s up to you to make this tournament fun and successful.